Friday, July 8, 2011

Lemon Lavender Scones

I had a craving for a scone this morning and was in the mood to cook, but not to drive to Starbucks for a coffee and scone (their Orange Cranberry scones are so yummy!). I looked around on the internet and found a basic scone recipe and discovered that for once in my whole life I actually had all the ingredients on hand for something I wanted to make. Hallelujah! Its a kitchen miracle! Except, it wasn't. I really wanted to make orange cranberry scones but had neither oranges nor did I have cranberries.

So the little wheels started to turn and I remembered some lemon basil scones that my friend Tonya made. And I thought, "I have lemon! and I have basil!" But I didn't want to make lemon basil scones. Then the little lightbulb turned on and I remembered that I have a huge pot full of lavender growing and I never use lavender in my cooking because I'm not entirely sure how to use it, but this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I will definitely be making these again. They were very easy and fast are delicious! Also the camera batteries are dead so you get a cell phone picture.

And it was, oh but it was!

Lemon Lavender Scones
adapted from Simple Scones Recipe

2 cups of all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt (or regular salt)
1 stick unsalted butter cold or frozen
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 3/4 tbsp fresh lavender, finely chopped
1 lemon zested
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In food processor mix all dry ingredients. Chop butter into 8 pieces and add to food processor. Pulse until mixture is crumbly. Whisk together sour cream, vanilla, egg, and lemon zest and add to food processor. Pulse until a dough ball is formed. Remove from food processor and place on lightly floured surface and press into a rough circle. Cut into 8 pieces (like a pizza) and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden. Serve with jam or any other desired toppings. I had mine with Simply Fruit Red Raspberry Jam.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment