Thursday, October 27, 2011

Black Bean and Potato Soup

I know it's been a long time since I posted a recipe. Life got crazy for a little while, but I think it's finally settling down.

My family recently made the decision to try to be vegan for a month and see how it goes. We have also eliminated caffeine. In addition, I'm back into my exercise routine. Let me tell you, the first two days were awful. My head hurt SO BAD from the caffeine withdrawal, but the headache did eventually go away and ibuprofen got me through until it did. I wasn't anymore tired than usual due to my morning workouts, so at least there was that!

Some meals that we've had the last few days have been things like an italian eggplant stew of sorts served over rice. Very flavorful, but probably not my favorite thing. I also made this lentil loaf but will be making changes to the recipe next time to make it drier and more meatloafy. Last night we had sloppy joe's made with griller crumbles and fries. And tonight ya'll... I outdid myself.

I made the best black bean soup I have ever made. That's not really saying much since it was only the second one I've made, but it was SO delicious. There is not a single thing that I would do different, but if you wanted you could add a couple of carrots to get more veggies into your day.  We had it with a kale salad, for which the recipe will post tomorrow. Over all it was a very healthy meal that was very low fat, but filling and nutritious... but best of all it tasted amazing.


Black Bean and Potato Soup

2 different colored bell peppers, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 jalapeno with seeds, diced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
1/8-1/4 cup vegetable oil (for sauteing)
4 cans black beans with liquid, divided
3 cups water
2 cups cubed potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 small-medium potatoes)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp vegetable or chicken seasoning (I used George Washington)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
ground cayenne pepper to taste

1) Saute bell peppers, onion, jalapeno, and garlic in oil until soft. Put 2 cans of beans and sauteed vegetables in blender and puree. Add part of the water if needed.

2) Simmer pureed ingredients with all others in a pot until potatoes are soft.

Serving suggestions:
Serve with a simple kale salad or other green salad and whole wheat bread or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment