Friday, January 21, 2011

Greek Spaghetti

Every time I go to Apollo Flame, I get their Greek Spaghetti. I love it. The simplicity of it, the flavors of the feta, the garlic, the EVOO. A few years ago, I was craving Greek Spaghetti and didn't have time to drive an hour to get it, so I tried to recreate it. It was delicious, but not quite like Apollo Flame's.

I told my friends about it and we decided that when I visited them and my (then) boyfriend, that I'd make it and we'd have a "family" meal with the three couples. That was an adventure cooking it. There I was in the dorm kitchen trying to saute garlic and boil enough spaghetti for three starving college boys and three girls with only one small pot. I think I had to make the pasta in four batches. We were heating water in an electric kettle to try to cut down on the cooking time. All the while the boys kept calling and asking if dinner was ready yet because they were starving.

When I served it one of them said, "Where's the sauce?" His then-girlfriend, now-wife said to him, "Matthew, it doesn't have sauce. It doesn't need it."

I decided that since I couldn't make it taste just like Apollo Flame's I was going to put my own spin on it.
These are your ingredients. I told you it was simple. Except I'm missing the roma tomatoes for garnish... I was in a hurry trying to cook and photograph so I could have dinner ready for my family. Regardless, I hope you're not cooking based on my pictures otherwise you're going to end up with a mess.


Put your water on to boil and while you're doing that, mince your garlic and saute` it in some olive oil. Don't let it burn or it will completely change the taste of this dish. I learned that the hard way. I love the smell of garlic. Garlic and olive oil and feta are what MAKE this dish, so don't skimp on any of those. This is where all of your flavor comes from! Throw your pasta in some salted water with a little oil and let it boil until al dente or however you like it.






Drain and rinse your pasta. Please ignore the broccoli leaf in the bottom of my sink. Finely chop some mint and small dice some Roma tomatoes. Plate the pasta and sprinkle with your desired amount of feta, garnish with mint and tomato.





Greek Spaghetti

1/2 lb angel hair pasta
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
6-7 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz container crumbled feta
1 Roma tomato, small dice
mint

Greek Spaghetti
Prepare pasta according to directions on box. Using half of olive oil, saute` all of minced garlic over medium-low heat. Drain and rinse pasta. Toss together with sauteed garlic and remaining oil. Top with crumbled feta and tomato. Garnish with fresh mint. Serves 6-8.


Alternative suggestions:
Instead of mint use fresh basil or oregano or whatever fresh herb you like
Use sundried tomatoes instead of fresh


Make it a Meal!
Greek Salad
Garlic bread
Broccoli





No comments:

Post a Comment