Monday, January 31, 2011

Tropical Dessert Eggrolls

I made eggrolls that didn't turn out so great because I followed a recipe that said to bake them. I won't be making that mistake again. Just suck it up and have the extra calories. The taste is well worth the fat. Anyway, I had three eggroll wrappers left over and decided to make a little dessert out of them with some things I had within easy reach.

I considered using apples and making an apple pie/ apple empanada type thing, but didn't want to go through the effort of chopping the apples. So I looked to the banana for a tropical inspiration.

This was sort of a spur of the moment thing and I didn't take a lot of pictures, but since I have pictures of myself wrapping eggrolls I can show you how to roll them and a few other pics.

In this horrible, dark picture there is an eggroll wrapper, banana, brown sugar, sweetened coconut, and sliced almonds, and a little drop of vanilla extract. To wrap, place your items on the wrapper on the diagonal, which isn't so much what I did here, but turned into that when I started to wrap it. You'll find other methods out there on how to wrap an eggroll. I found that this method worked best for me when I did mine. These pics are of vegetable eggrolls that were too wet, not my dessert.


Step 1 -- fold in your sides.
Step 2 -- Fold up the bottom, while keeping the corners and sides nicely tucked in.
Step 3 -- roll up from the bottom and tuck everything in on the sides while rolling. Rub a little water or butter or whatever is wet on the top corner to help the wrapper to stick together when it's completely rolled.

Tropical Dessert Eggrolls
3 eggroll wrappers
1 banana
3 tsp brown sugar
vanilla extract
2 tbsp dried sweetened shredded coconut
1 tbsp sliced almonds, toasted
Butter flavored spray or melted butter
chocolate, any kind

Divide banana between eggroll wrappers, place on the diagonal. Put 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, a drop of vanilla extract, pinch of shredded coconut, and sprinkle of toasted almonds on each. Roll up like an eggroll. Brush or spray with melted butter. Bake at 350 until golden, about 25 minutes. Serve with chocolate for dipping or drizzled over or to take a bite with it or whatever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment