Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Creamy Broccoli Soup (Vegan)

We finished our month of being vegan. My allergies weren't as bad. My skin was clear. My digestive system was operating at optimal speed. It was all good and then we went to Florida and spent 10 days with family over the Thanksgiving holiday. Even though my parents and I are occasional meat-eaters, compared to the rest of the family you could almost say that we eat raw. The rest of the family eats like most of America.

Do you KNOW what eating like the rest of America does to your body after a month without meat and only having small quantities of dairy/ eggs on one or two occasions? Not good things, my friends. Not good things. My face broke out. I got the worst sinus infection. My digestive system alternated between working over-time and production being backed up (TMI?). Now that I'm home I'm eating very little dairy/ eggs and no meat and my body thanks me.

It has been rainy and cold here all week -- perfect soup weather. I threw together this delicious soup the other night.

Creamy Broccoli Soup (Vegan)


3 tbsp flour
4-5 tbsp margarine or other fat/ oil

 4-5 cups vegetable broth 
1-16 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 pinches dried rosemary
2 bay leaves
mashed potato flakes or mashed potato
salt and pepper to taste

Make a roux with the flour and margarine or oil. Slowly add broth and stir until completely mixed and bring to a boil until thickened. Add half of the broccoli, all of the onion, and garlic. Reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is soft. Puree in blender until smooth and pour back in pot. Add the rest of the broccoli, rosemary, and bay leaves. Simmer until broccoli is completely cooked. Stir in mashed potato/ potato flakes to reach desired consistency (I like mine more thick than soupy) and salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4-6.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh this sounds good! I will be trying it. If you have the nutritional yeast flakes I bet you would get a bit of cheesy flavor! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete