Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cilantro Hummus with Spinach and Roasted Red Pepper Wrap

My mom and I were trying to come up with something to make for supper. I knew we had spinach that needed to be used and I remembered seeing a jar of roasted red peppers in the pantry. I really wanted to make a wrap with some marinated tofu, but remembered that last time I made wraps with tofu, I marinated it over night and didn't have time for that. While spinach is full of protein (5g/ 1 cup cooked), in order to fill my dad up I thought we would need more "substance" because he's just not frou-frou like that. He doesn't like hummus, but I asked him if he would try it if I made Cilantro Hummus and he said that he would.


Unfortunately our spinach had already spoiled, so we had to use kale instead. It was ok, but I recommend spinach. Any mild flavored leafy green would work; kale is not that.

Cilantro Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans, drained with liquid reserved
1-2 cloves garlic
handful of cilantro
1 tbsp sesame tahini
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Put all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Add garbanzo liquid as needed during blending. Hummus should be thick, but spreadable. Salt to taste and add more lemon juice if needed.

Spinach and Red Pepper Wrap

1 whole wheat tortilla
handful of fresh spinach
1/2 roasted red pepper from jar
3 tbsp cilantro hummus

Wrap. And enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment